North Derbyshire

The following is a transcription of the trip report. Trip photographs follow.

Saturday to Sunday, 19th - 20th November 1955

No bus-time table trouble on this weekend! We joined forces with those queer types, the Stoats, & went by coach. Despite the unearthly hour of departure from the Union (8.0 a.m [sic]) no one was more than 20 mins. late. On the outward journey, the Wayfarers seemed rather overawed by their famous companions, & their singing was very weak & feeble compared with the Stoats! Regardless of the disturbances behind him, the coach-driver whizzed merrily along at a phenomenal speed & we reached Matlock about 11.0 a.m. [sic] We stopped here for coffee (nothing stronger), & then on once more. We reached Great Rowsley about half past eleven, where we said goodbye to the coach, the Stoats, who were going on to Stanage Edge, & our rucsacs. From the village, we walked northwards up onto Manners Wood & Coulton Pastures. At some point on Coulton Pastures the leader's map reading went wrong & she led the party almost in a complete circle. Muttered comments about how far the -- was began to be heard! (Not without reason since breakfast was about five hours away by then.) We dropped down onto the A623 & then into Chatsworth Park. Pangs of hunger prevented a real appreciation of the beauties of Chatsworth House & we covered the last mile & a half by the Derwent to Nether End at a good pace. After a lengthy stop during which even the hungriest & thirstiest were satisfied, we walked along Baslow & Anbar Edges. Not to be outdone by the Stoats, the Wayfarers proved their rock climbing abilities - see Dennis' & Norman's photos for proof. Especially remarkable was the feat of the sole young lady to climb the Stone. It was almost dark as we came off Froggatt Edge & took a "short cut" through the woods towards the river - it proved quite hair-raising. From Grindleford Bridge we "road walked" to the Leam Hall. It was not until we had climbed the half-mile drive to the hostel that we remembered the rucsacs. Back went the poor unfortunates, who had left their rucsacs in the care of the Stoats, & spent an uncomfortable twenty-minutes crawling about in the darkness among brambles & bushes at the roadside feeling for their precious burdens.

In the hostel we saw little or nothing of the Stoats who as self-cookers spent the evening over their witches' brews, cooking seemling endless courses, while we satisfied ourselves with a traditional Hostel supper.

Next morning the party split up, & a "marathon" party set off bright & early, followed half an hour later by the rest. We went from the hostel down into the valley & followed the river Derwent upstream to Bamford. Some people were talking so much on the way that they did not know in which direction to river was flowing, when asked! At Bamford we left the river bank & took a track higher up the hillside. As one o'clock drew near, the inevitable thirst was felt. We stopped at the inn at foot of Ladybower Resevoir, where we found to our dismay that the advance party had all the bread! Fortunately two homeward bound cyclists were able to give us a loaf. The most notable event at the Inn was "Please Park Prettily" (see opposite). In the afternoon we climbed Win Hill - a really worthwhile effort for the wonderful view from the top, of Edale Moor & the Resevoir. We decided to make this the crowning point of our achievement, & rather than press on & climb another hill, we sat in a filed on the hillside & watched a glider away above Offerton Moor. The sun set & we soon vegan to feel cold, so we pressed on into Hope village. It was purely the late hour & not footsoreness that made us take a bus from Hope to Hathersage, & to prove how fresh we were, we walked the last 3 1/2 miles to Grindleford Bridge. The "marathon" party covered the same ground as us, I think, but lengthened their day's walk a good deal by walking over the moors from Hope to Grindleford. In face their total effort was about (Transcriber's note: left blank) miles.

After tea in the café at Grindleford we set off Birminghamwards. Maybe the Stoats are the louder singers but Wayfarers left their mark in Derby. We shouted down & diverted attention from the soap-box speakers in the market square & entertained the citizens of Derby by a performance of "Strip the Willow" & a magnificent rendering of "My Old Man's a Fireman" after which we retired to the nearest. This effort tired us out somewhat so that the Stoats kept up a solo effort all the way to Birmingham, while more & more Wayfarers piled onto the backseat of the coach & went to sleep.

Janet T.


"Please Park Prettily"

Eagle Rock